Since his involvement in co-founding The Men’s Project and 1in6 Canada, Rick Goodwin, MSW, RSW has played a significant role in Canada and elsewhere providing training programs for counsellors, health care professionals and other service providers on issues of male sexual trauma, clinical engagement strategies, ending men’s violence, as well as other issues regarding men and their families.
Rick has also won a variety of awards for service excellence over his career, and was named one of 150 Leading Canadians for Mental Health by the CAMH (2017).
For over 20 years, Rick and his colleagues have provided clinical training to community services, First Nations, and the public sector across Canada, including:
Sexual Assault Centres:
- The Alberta Association of Sexual Assault Centres, Alberta
- Waypoints (Formerly Fort McMurray Family Crisis Society), Alberta
- Amelia Rising Sexual Assault Centre, Ontario
- Thunder Bay Sexual Assault/Abuse Counselling Centre, Ontario
- Muskoka Parry Sound Sexual Assault Services, Ontario
- Sexual Assault Centre of Kingston, Ontario
- PEI Rape & Sexual Assault Centre, Prince Edward Island
- Piwapin Women’s Centre of La Ronge, Saskatchewan
Indigenous/First Nations/Inuit ServiceS:
- Northern Village of Kangiqsujuaq, Nunavik
- M’Wikwedong Native Cultural Resource Centre, Ontario
- Kitigan Zibi First Nation, Ontario
- Mi’kmaq Confederacy of PEI, Prince Edward Island
- Akwesasne First Nation, Quebec
- Piwapin Women’s Centre, La Ronge, Saskatchewan
- Nunatsiavut Government Health and Social Development, Labrador
Mental Health & Addictions Services:
- Abbotsford Community Services, British Columbia
- Safeguards Training for Children and Adult Services, Ontario
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario
- Rideauwood Addiction Centre, Ontario
- St. Michael’s Homes, Ontario
- Community Counseling Centre, North Bay, Ontario
- Northumberland Community Counselling Centre, Cobourg, Ontario
- The Ottawa Mission, Ontario
- Thunder Bay Counselling Centre, Ontario
- Harvest House, Ontario
- Timmins Family Counselling Centre, Ontario
- Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, Alberta
- The Dave Smith Centre, Ontario
- The Cornwall Public Inquiry, Ontario
- Office for Victims of Crime, Ontario
- The Ontario Parole Board, Ontario
- Ministry of the Attorney General, Ontario
- Ministry of Community & Correctional Services, Ontario
- Department of National Defence, Ontario
- Ontario Works, Renfrew County, Ontario
- Community Capacity Building Training, City of Ottawa, Ontario
- Canada Border Services Agency, Quebec
- The Homelessness Initiative, Ontario
- SOS Workshops, Ontario
- Options Bytown, Ontario
- Cochrane & Area Victim Services, Ontario
- Kids First, Saskatchewan
- VoiceFound, Ontario
- St. Leonard’s Society of Canada, Ontario
- House of Hope, Ontario
- John Howard Society, Ontario
- Ontario Provincial Police, Hawkesbury
- CoSA Ottawa
- The Ottawa Hospital, Ontario
- Centretown Community Health Centre, Ontario
- Peterborough Family Health Team, Ontario
Colleges and Universities:
- Queen’s University, Kingston Ontario
- Algonquin College, Ontario
- Carleton University, Ontario
- Victimology Research Centre, Algonquin College, Ontario
- Sexual Misconduct Response Centre, Canadian Armed Forces, Ontario
- Family Crisis Team Training, Canadian Forces/Military Family Resource Centre, Ontario
Through Men & Healing, your community can also access these training services. Enquiries are welcome!
We have provided clinical, first responder, and public training in the U.S., including American bases abroad:
- Peace Over Violence, California
- Standing Together to End Sexual Assault, California
- Child Trafficking Unit, Los Angeles Country, probation Dept., California
- Victim Legal Counsel, US Marines, MCAS Miramar, California
- G.R.E.E.N. Foundation Community Training, California
- Jewish Community Foundation, California
- The College of New Jersey, New Jersey
- Nevada Community Foundation, Nevada
- Rape and Abuse Crisis Center, North Dakota
- Boy Scouts of America, Texas
- Elmendorf-Richardson Air Force Base, Alaska
- US Coast Guard, California
- Marine Corp Legal Symposium, California
- Fort Gordon, US Army, Georgia
- Fort Stewart, US Army, George
- Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
- Fort Campbell, US Army, Kentucky-Tennessee border
- National Guard, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota
- Fort Bliss US Army, Texas
- Andersen Air Force Base, Guam
- Yokota Air Force Base, Japan
- Misawa Air force Base, Japan
- Osan Air Force Base, Korea
- Kadena Air Force Base, Okinawa
We welcome enquiries from American colleagues.
OTHER INTERNATIONAL TRAININGS:
Our other international training initiatives include:
- South-South Institute for Sexual Violence Against Men and Boys, Cambodia
- IWID/Womankind Worldwide, India
- South-South Institute on Sexual Violence Against Men and Boys, New Zealand
- MOSAIC – Tiaki Tangata, Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust, New Zealand
- Survivors West Yorkshire, U.K.
- United Women Singapore
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS, CLINICAL SUPERVISION, COACHING & CONSULTATIONS:
Apart from training, we also provide conference presentations, clinical supervision services, program development coaching, and broader consultation on issues related to men and their families.
From 2020-2021, Rick was brought in as a Subject Matter Expert to the Survivor Support Consultation Group, a special advisory committee to the Canadian Department of National Defence
Some of our more recent conference presentations have included:
Beyond Toxic Masculinity. Keynote address. CUPW National Convention, Toronto, Ontario, 2019.
Truth Telling: Towards a Male-Centered Approach to Sexual Trauma Therapy. National Organization of Victim Assistance (NOVA). Jacksonville, Florida, 2018.
What it Will Take. Keynote address. South-South Institute for Sexual Violence Against Men and Boys, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2017.
Men Bleed Too: Towards a Male-Centered Approach to Victim Engagement. International Conference on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence with David Lisak. Washington, DC, 2016.
Men and the Criminal Justice System: The Confluence of Childhood Trauma and Masculinity. Workshop with Dr. David Lisak. Ending Violence Against Women International, Seattle, 2014.
Strength & Courage: Addressing Men’s Experiences of Childhood Sexual Abuse. Keynote address shared with Steve LePore. International Study of Trauma & Dissociation, Long Beach, California, 2014.
A Room of His Own: Building Male-Centred Spaces & Services for Survivors. Workshop, International Conference on Male Sexual Victimization, Newark New Jersey, 2014.
In the Wake of Penn State. Shared plenary address, Ending Violence against Women International, Baltimore, 2013.
Please contact Rick to find out how we can bring our expertise to you.